By Tzeni Samonas
Tuesday March 15th, 2016 With Clean Monday being the beginning of the Great Lent for Eastern Orthodox Christians, Gina who makes our amazing mini baklava’s at the bakery (her hands are always in our pictures and videos on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest hense our hashtag #ginashands) has shared this amazing lenten recipe with us. I made it the other night and it was super quick, easy and delicious. You can find the frozen octopus and many of the other ingredients used in our foodmart.
• I kg Octopus (frozen and thawed) tenticles only and cut into pieces (available at Serano Bakery in the FoodMart)
• 500g Misko Tubetti pasta
• 200ml olive oil
• 200ml white wine
• 2 medium onions, grated
• 1 tsp Kyknos tomato paste
• 1 tsp ketchup
• 3 bay leaves
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 1 tsp salt (full tsp)
• 1 litre water (500ml + 500ml)
• ground pepper to taste
Directions1. Heat olive oil in a large pot.
2. Add onion and saute for 2 min.
3. Add the octopus and saute until the octopus turns red in colour.
4. Add the tomato paste and cook until you can smell the tomatoes.
5. Add wine, bay leaves, cinnamon stick, ketchup and 500ml of water.
6. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a low boil for about 20 min. Taste to see if the octopu is cooked, if it’s ready add the remaining 500ml of water and add salt.
7. Bring to a boil and add pasta while contsantly stirring until pasta is eldante and there is still a substantial amount of liquit left in the pot (about 5 min).
8. Remove from heat and cover to 20-30 min.
9. Serve with ground pepper to taste.